Wednesday, February 17, 2021

I had a dream

Not much new to report about my progress today.  I have a first, virtual, appointment with Mayo Clinic on Friday, and I have my preliminary, treatment planning MRI and CT Simulation appointments with Northwestern on Monday and Tuesday.  The insurance company will make their decision as to which facility they will cover out of network by tomorrow, Thursday. Still waiting.

I have a dentist appointment today at noon, as part of a pre-treatment check up that Northwestern required.  I can honestly say that I have been to the dentist fewer times in my life than I have been to the doctor.  Preventive medicine has never been a high priority in my life.  I have been blessed with healthy teeth, and a mother that constantly warned of the hazards of eating sweets.  58 years, and I've had one cavity that required filling.  Some of you may be thinking, "You haven't been to the dentist in three decades, you may have a mouthful of cavities."  You could be right, but I doubt it.  

Another interesting "Joe fact" is that I have not used toothpaste since I was 13 years old.  I am totally serious!  The taste and the feel of toothpaste made me gag.  One day, I was in the kitchen while my mom was cooking, and she had a box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda on the counter.  On the side of the box was an add that talked about using baking soda instead of toothpaste.  That's all I needed to hear, and have been using baking soda ever since.

More importantly, yesterday, Kathie had her knee replacement surgery.  I spoke to the doctor afterwards - all went perfectly as planned.  They had her up and walking by the end of the day.  If all goes as planned, I will pick her up this afternoon to bring her home.  This is Kathie's second total knee replacement.

We went to the pre-op appointment last week, where we met with the doctor and nursing staff to talk about all things surgery.  They showed the prosthetic that will replace her knee.  It is very different than the one she had 12 years ago.

The 2009 version looked quite barbaric.  Both titanium pieces had 6" spikes that were driven into her femur on the top, and tibia on the bottom.  Her recovery was long and painful.  The 2021 version has no spikes for the top piece, and just a little stub for the bottom.  This new version is held in place with glue, unlike the 2009 version that required glue and screws.  All of the differences will hopefully translate into a quicker, smoother, and less painful recovery.

I had a dream.  OK, it was another one of my weird dreams.  I wasn't going to tell you this, but the writer in me can't resist.  I have to preface this by reminding everyone that it is only a dream, and that I have no control over my dreams.  It is not prophetic, just another one of Joe's weird dreams.

Last night, I dreamed that, sometime in the distant future, Kathie passed away.  Per her request, she was to be cremated.  It was time for us to go to the funeral home and receive her ashes.  All of the kids and I waited patiently, mourning the loss.  Suddenly the door swung open, and the Director carried out an ern that was the size of a five gallon bucket.  We were all shocked to see it.  It wasn't the one that we had picked out.  

Noticing our bewildered look, the director quickly explained, "It was the only one that all of her hardware would fit in."  We opened it to find a small amount of ashes, and the hardware from both her knee replacements, the metal in her wrists, the hardware from her cervical spine surgery, both hips, and a shoulder!

You can all grown, laugh, or just shake your head.  It was just a dream.

Kathie is the bionic woman.  She is carrying more metal than a Green Beret.  She is also as tough as a Green Beret.  Hopefully, she won't take offense to this, and her recovery will be quick.  She's used to my weird sense of humor.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment