Sunday, February 21, 2021

The Dentist

I forgot to tell you about the dentist.

As it turns out, there is a twofold reason for why cancer patients are required by their oncologist to see a dentist.  First, to make sure that there are no oral infections that could compromise the, chemo weakened, immune system.  Secondly, to make sure that any necessary dental work is taken care of before treatment.  Radiation tends to temporarily weaken bone structure, so you don't want them drilling and yanking on your teeth too soon after treatment.  

In my case, the radiation will be directed in very close proximity to the bones of the maxilla (upper teeth) and mandible (lower teeth).  I can see why they insisted on me seeing a dentist.

So, how did I do?  X number of years of not seeing a dentist.  Forty five years of mostly brushing with just water.  Brushing with baking soda 2-3 times a week.  Huh?

They found one little cavity.

I couldn't believe it.  It must be a conspiracy.  Could this be a racket that dentists have capitalized on?  They know this cancer patient is desperate to have treatment, and they can't have treatment until the dentist signs off on it.  "You have a cavity that needs to be filled", the dentist says.  "Where is it located?", you reply.  "Oh, it is under your gum, on your back, right molar.  Only I can see it with my special instruments."

That is actually the jist of what he said.  One cavity, under the gum, right rear molar.  He showed me on the X-ray.  But then again, he could have showed me the area in question on the X-ray, and said I had a baby elephant growing under my gum.  All I saw was a shadow.  He said it was a cavity, so I had to trust him.

Thirty minutes in the chair later, I was drilled and filled.

I had to promise to come back and get a deep cleaning after treatment is finished.  I suppose the last deep cleaning I had lasted multiple decades, so this one could last the rest of my life.  I'm a terrible patient...  

I shouldn't be surprised that dental technology has improved over the past few decades.  The filling material he used was a silica based, light cured, resin material.  It is designed to match the color of the tooth.  I asked if they still use the old mercury amalgam fillings.  He said they are still available, and do have some uses, but for regular cavities, they use the new stuff.  

The dentist signed off on my treatment release, so I am good to go for Monday and Tuesday at Northwestern.  I will be leaving Minocqua at about 7:00am, to head south to Warrenville.  Normally, it is a five and a half hour drive.  My first appointment is at 2:00pm, so I should be able to get there in plenty of time.  Maybe even enough time to grab a Spicy Deluxe Chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A!  I haven't had one in two years.  If you've never tried one, you should.  So good!


3 comments:

  1. I do the annual dental checkup/cleaning thing, and have commented before that filling cavities is akin to road crews filling potholes.
    How soon can those crews start using this "light curing" technology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... and something we all should consider:
    Research the connection between dental plaque and heart disease.
    An annual cleaning is just damned good insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! screw in teeth

    ReplyDelete