Monday, October 4, 2021

Hope to hear from you all soon.

 I had mentioned in the last blog that my extended family all wanted to come out and help.  For the first round, my dad, and brothers Martin, Jim and Dave had come out.  I spent most of my time in the hospital or doctors appointment, so I didn't get to see a lot of the guys.  My Mom and sisters, Roseanne and Mary, arrived a few days later, along with my daughter Jessica, who drove up from Chicago.

It was so great to have them here, although selfish for me.  Being able to spend time, bonding with all of the brothers, and dad is what every guy needs.  Dave is technically my brother in law, and since we have lived on opposite side of the country since they have been married, we've only had about a dozen occasions to sit down and get to know each other.  What a great guy, Mary picked a good one.  My Dad is obviously the best.  He taught me the basics of every thing that I know and do every day.  He knew that I was an explorer, an "out-of-the-box" thinker.  I wouldn't stop until the problem was solved, the repair was made, and the project was finished.  Young men need direction.  As a matter of fact, there are three things that every young man needs to hear from his dad or adult role model to set his direction in life.  (1) I'm proud of you, (2) You are doing a great job, and (3) I love you.  That's the kind of guy my dad is.

Martin and Jim were always about pushing me around, pushing me up,  pushing me further, but not necessary compassionately.  As we grew as adults, we learned that we started to have a lot more in common than we thought.  We began to talk more on the phone, and spend more time together, usually disguised as a work project.  Oh, and there was always the annual family get together in Palm Springs, CA that brought us together.  

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I hear of too many brothers that, for what more than an argument years ago, has kept them apart.  Brothers are flesh and blood, and my favorite people on the planet. If I didn't have the relationship I have with them, do you think they would have hashed this whole plan to come out and help - knowing good and well that I would have rejected it had they asked me first?  It makes me sad to think that I will never be able return the gesture.

The girls, on the other hand have never had a problem expressing their feelings for me.  Luckily for me, I have two very loving sisters.  Otherwise it could be a mess.  Kathie and I went through a rough time years ago.  I was wrong and they really came down hard on me.  I'm glad they did because not only did they help save my marriage, it brought me closer to them as well.

Then there is my Mom.  As a boy (or even a big boy now) there is nothing more comforting than sitting down next to each other, holding each other for one of those Mother/Son hugs that you hope will never end.  I suppose that I was always a bit of a momma's boy, because this boy loves his mom.

They came here with no real plan or agenda, but to help.  They cleaned up around the property, organized things, worked alongside Kathie, our Jessica, and me, by helping us navigate the ins and outs of hospice.  They were like a flock of angels that swooped in, and took care of business.

I understand that there are quite of you wanting to help in any way you can.  When it comes to physical labor, I think that part is taken care of.  Although, Kathie is talking about having a garage sale, which I know she could use some help.  And, by "needing help" she would need to have someone, have it for her.  

As for me, I need some good old fellowship times.  Guys hanging out with guys, talking about life, friendship, and faith.  That's what keeps me moving forward.  Since my vocal chords gave out, it has become more and more difficult to accept invitations to meet up and talk.  If any of you want to come on over , please do.  Just remember, I can answer yes and no pretty efficiently, then, that's were the language barrier kicks in.  It will still be a good time.

Once again, a very special thank you to my brother Jim that worked into the wee hours knocking down a long list of small projects, that wouldn't have been without him.

Jamie lives with us and has her hands full with Quinn And Joe.  She does whatever she can to pitch in.  She's always there when I need her.

But most of all, my very special daughter Jessica that learned her woodworking skills from watching me renovate house after house after house while she was growing up.  She doesn't do it for a living, but easily could.  She finished her list while helping Kathie and her aunt's figure out the whole Hospice network.

God Bless you all.  Text me if you want to get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment