Saturday, January 23, 2021

Hello, is anyone home?

Today is Saturday, and no word from Mayo Clinic.  I can see, by way of my "Patient Portal", that they have received my records, and are reviewing them.

I have to admit that I'm getting a little anxious.  There never seems to be a sense of urgency in this whole process.  "Hello!  I'm dying of cancer here.  Is anyone home?"  The pandemic hasn't helped either.  It was two weeks after my amazing team of doctors figured out how they would safely get a biopsy sample, before they could book an OR to do the procedure.  It seems like our hospitals have ground to a screeching halt.

I don't think that I told you about that, the biopsy surgery, that is.

By early December 2020, the cancer had spread throughout my 5th cranial nerve.  It was lit up like a Christmas tree on the MRI, showing white from the brain stem to the farthest reaches of the branches.  The top two cancer choices were Large Cell Type B Lymphoma, or the rare Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  Each having a completely different treatment plan.

Dr. Neal - Neuro Surgeon, was tasked with the challenge of getting the biopsy.  He studied the scans, looking at every possible angle, but couldn't see any safe way.  The largest mass was at the base of the skull in a place called Meckel's Cave, where the Trigeminal nerve (the 5th cranial nerve) branches off into it's three main branches.  He felt that opening Meckel's Cave was too dangerous.  

Dr. Neal called Dr. Urqhart - Head & Neck Oncology/Ear, Nose, and Throat, for advice.  I met with Dr. Urqhart the next day for a full exam.  While I was sitting there, Dr. Urqhart got on the phone with Dr. Schreiber - Head & Neck Oncology/Facial Reconstruction.  Dr. Schreiber reviewed the scan right then and there, and came up with a plan.  He would pull up my left upper lip, drill a hole into my sinus cavity, then into the bottom of the orbital socket to retrieve a sample.  

In the two weeks that I waited to have the procedure done, Dr. Schreiber came up with a better plan.  He would do the procedure arthroscopically through my left nostril, first cutting away the tissue directly under my left eye, then the bone, exposing the tumor.  He was able to get a good sized sample for pathology.  My nose is still sore from that procedure.

Somehow I ended up with the most amazing team of doctors that I could have ever hoped for.  Starting with Colleen Mueller, NP - my primary.  She has been the most amazing advocate, always looking out for me, and keeping on top of the process.  Then Dr. Anderson - Ophthalmology, Dr. Lawler - Neuro Consult, Drs Neal, Urqhart, and Schreiber.  Dr. Boyer - General Surgery, who installed my port, Dr. Yasar - Chemo Oncology, and Dr. Lee - Radiation Oncology.  Any of my Northwoods friends would do well to be in their care.

Since I didn't hear from Mayo today, I hope it will be Monday.

I spoke to my mom earlier today.  Other than the pain, she is doing very well - keeping up with her exercises, and giving my dad a hard time.  Thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts for my mom and me.

I'll let you know as soon as I know something.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have such an excellent team Uncle Joe! Keep up that legendary positive spirit. Thank you for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete