Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Could it be a light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm still working, as much as I can.  I have good days and bad days.  I'm self employed, so I don't have any paid time off, and yet the bills keep coming.  

But, in all of this, the one thing that I have found is that I feel so much better when I get up and get going.  Maybe it's psychological - it puts me in a different frame of mind.  Maybe it's metaphysical - increased heart rate and respiration has to be good for me.  Whatever it may be, I need to keep doing it.

Word is getting around in our small, small town that I have cancer.  And, in the typical small town fashion, people love a new story.  What cracks me up that half of those who know me are concerned and sympathetic (believing that I am on my deathbed), while the other half doesn't believe that I am sick at all (they report constant "Joe sightings" as I go to Builder 1st Source or Ace Hardware to get supplies).  I'm sure there are conspiracy theories circulating on both sides. 

It's too easy, when you're feeling lousy to just stay in bed, or sit back in my big green chair as I do.  I can usually get 4 - 5 hours of work in before I start feeling like my body is running out of gas.  I think it is also important to not push it too far.  I can feel the cancer is requiring that my body expend a fair amount of energy in an attempt to fight it off.  The problem is that my body doesn't realize, just yet, that it is no match for this unwanted invader.

On a brighter note, I couldn't wait any longer on a chemo haircut, so I went and got a fresh buzz Tuesday morning.  It has a way of making me feel better.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with Mayo Clinics.  It has been almost two and a half weeks since they received the referral from my doctors, and I feel no closer to an appointment than I was when we started.  I've stayed on top of it, and called every day, and every day, they seem to be waiting for one more thing.  I call Marshfield Clinics, and they don't have any records requests in the system.

Monday, I reached out to Northwestern Medical's Proton Center in Warrenville, IL.  We lived in Warrenville for 12 years while the girls were in school, so we know the area well.  So far, they seem to be genuinely excited to have me as a patient, but, so was Mayo in the first few conversations.  

So far, I have spoken with the admissions department, then a nurse that took notes on my story.  They met this morning with the chemo and proton radiation teams who determined, by the basic information, that I am a good candidate.  They emailed a "Release of Information", which I signed and returned right away.  They will get everything that can be sent electronically tomorrow.  I already have an appointment for Thursday of next week to meet with the medical oncology, and radiation oncology teams.  Let's pray that all goes well.

I'm not sure about housing arrangements at either facility - Mayo in Rochester, MN, or Northwestern in Warrenville, IL.  Covid-19 has most housing facilities closed.  I have to think that they have some arrangements for people like me that come from far away.  Otherwise, I might have to call in a favor from old friends, and see if I can crash on their couch for seven weeks.  Commuting four and a half hours (one way) to Rochester, or five and a half to Warrenville is a little out of the question.

The doctors, at both facilities, seem to be in agreement on their treatment outline - three rounds of chemo, spaced three weeks apart, plus proton beam radiation every day for seven weeks.  At that point, they will evaluate the progress and see if I need to keep going or not.

On a side note, my wife Kathie has been waiting for a year to have a total knee replacement.  Again, Covid-19 has been an obstacle, since it is considered elective surgery.  Well, she finally received a surgical date of February 16, 2021 - yes, two weeks from now.  Not ideal timing.  Chances are good that I will be starting my treatment at about that same time.  If she passes on this date, it could be another year before she gets another date.  I am pushing her to have it done.  There is help up here for her post-operatively.  I have to believe that she will be provided for.  Hopefully, the recovery will be quicker and easier than when she had her other knee replaced 12 years ago.  

Things appear to be moving in the right direction.  That might just be a light at the end of the tunnel.

All of your thoughts and prayers mean so much to us.

1 comment: